Are You In The Right Place? Finding Your Niche
(This article is adapted from ROHEI’s blog.)
Do you find yourself dragging your feet to work? Do you feel trapped? Restless? As the day ends, do you watch the clock and whisper to it to go faster? If you are going through a phase of confusion, feeling unmotivated and can’t understand why, perhaps it’s time to do some self-evaluation, on whether you are in the right field of work.
Finding your niche is about finding your purpose. When you are doing what you were meant to do, you are energized, motivated. You are not easily frustrated; you are excited about challenges, and happy to spend extra time making your work the best it can be.
Here are some questions you can ask yourself as you search for your niche:
- PROBLEMS What problems do you encounter that you find yourself wanting to fix?
- PEOPLE What people group attracts and energizes you?
- PASSION What are you passionate about? What lights you up? What talents and skills do you enjoy using to help others?
- PLAY What excites you and makes you feel like a kid again? What kind of books and articles are you drawn to read?
- PURPOSE How do you want to add value to people’s lives? What change do you want to see in the world?
Like a detective searches for clues, observe yourself, listen to your life. Some things you re-discover from your past hold the key to the future. Search for forgotten dreams, and take responsibility for your future, and your own fulfillment and happiness.
When you are in the right place, you are able to help people who need you. You are able to use your unique gifts and talents to do things only you can do. Keep searching, because when you find your niche, you’ll know it was worth the journey.