How do I juggle work and part-time study?
Juggling work and school will take a lot of adjusting and sacrifices on your part. But it will be easier if you bear these tips in mind:
1. Make use of opportune moments to read your notes, study or do your homework. For example:
• During lunchtime or any break that you get at work
• During the journey to work, as well as the journey from work to school
• After work on days that you don’t have class
2. Maintain a certain level of order to help keep your mind clear throughout the day. Here’s how:
• Have an organiser or a daily planner to help you keep track of what classes you have and on what day
• Have separate folders for work and school in your bag to ensure you don’t get your school notes and documents mixed up
3. Remember to keep a healthy diet, as your diet is sure to be affected with the travelling. Two things to take note:
• Keep light snacks in your bag, such as a packet of nuts or a cup of yoghurt
• Do not skip meals because running around on an empty stomach is only going to make you cranky and unfocussed
4. Keep your boss updated with your school calendar. By informing her of when your exams are scheduled or assignments are due, she might be able to help lighten your workload during these periods or even allow you to take time off or leave so you can concentrate on studying then.