Job Interviews

How to Follow Up After An Interview

By Shi Tianyun

The interview for your dream job went smoothly and you left the room feeling confident. But a few days after, your confidence takes a dent when you’re sitting at home, waiting by the phone that doesn’t seem to ring. Now, stop wishing it to buzz – do something about it.

We’re saying: Follow up! You are pitted against a pool of equally-qualified individuals and the interviewers have their hands full making a decision, following up gives them a little nudge and also show them that you’re really enthusiastic about the clinching the job. And this attitude may just be the deciding factor that helped you to!

4 questions you shouldn’t ask at an interview (and what to ask instead)

By Juliet Soh

Most recruiters end interviews with “Do you have any questions for me?”

This is a great chance for you to ask questions that will help you assess if the company and position are right for you. Interviews should be a two-way conversation and the questions you ask at an interview may be as important as the answers you give.

But that’s not to say that you should simply fire away. There are indeed out-of-bound questions and here are four you should NOT ask:

To Inspire and Be Inspired

Mohamed Fareez Mohamed Fahmy

Inspirational quotes often aim to fuel human beings towards making a change in society and moving towards a better future. But how do we make this difference? Two scholars from NCSS and MCYS tell us how.

By Eliza Hamizah

John Fitzgerald Kennedy, former US president and global icon, once said, “One person can make a difference, and everyone should try.”

With a rapidly increasing global population and a world constantly going after the next big-ticket item without caring about others, social problems are bound to crop up.
As we march relentlessly towards our own perceived happiness, we forget about the people left behind. That’s why such quotes remind us that there are people who need help, and that we can create a difference by lending a helping hand, be it big or small.

30-year-old Mohamed Fareez Mohamed Fahmy and 24-year-old Lim Si Yu are two such individuals who hope to make a difference in the world we live in today through their social service professions.

Yes, Looks Do Matter to Recruiters

By Mabel Tan

“You never get a second chance to make a first impression,” so the saying goes.

Indeed, we all are evaluated on our presentation skills - from appearance to mannerisms - within seconds of every new encounter. The fact of the matter is, looks do play a crucial role and first impressions are lasting ones. Furthermore, the latter is what sets the tone for the relationship that follows.

How NOT to Handle Telephone Interviews

Kate Lorenz

This morning on the bus I couldn’t help but notice the woman across from me as she made a phone call. (Cell phone chatter on the bus is just one of my personal pet peeves.) But just seconds after she started talking, I realized she was having a job interview.

I was dumbfounded. Despite how desperate job seekers claim to be, they still make the simplest job search mistakes. One of the golden rules of job search: Find a quiet place to do a phone interview.

So when I got to work and saw the headline “Jobseekers interview while using toilet” in my inbox, I just had to click.

Seeking Information, Not Employment

More from WSJ.com:
Should I Quit My Job?
Updating a Résumé for 2011
How to Handle a Bad Boss?

provided by

By Elizabeth Garone

Q: I'm thinking about a career change and would love to go on a few informational interviews to learn more about the fields I am considering. But I rarely hear anyone talk about informational interviews anymore. Are people still giving them or are they too worried about their own jobs to take the time? How would I go about setting one up? Who should I target? Are certain questions off limits?

Los Angeles, CA

Acing Tricky Questions

provided by

by Dennis Nishi
September 5, 2010

On her second round of interviews for an editorial job in Chicago, Jess Wangsness was asked: If you could be a giraffe without a neck or an elephant without a trunk, which would you choose and why?

"Even though none of it had anything to do with the job, we had a fairly animated conversation about elephant behavior," Ms. Wangsness says. She didn't get the job but still wonders about the question. "Perhaps employers simply like to gauge just how interesting their candidates really are?" she says.

Regardless of how offbeat some interview questions may sound, most employers have their own hidden reasons for asking them. Usually, such queries are a way to uncover information about you that standard interview questions don't suss out. And whether the goal is to gauge your leadership aptitude or test your ability to handle stress, experts say you should stay composed and answer concisely.

The way you react to a question or work through an answer can actually score more points with the interviewer than the answer you give.

How to Say Thanks After an Interview

provided by

For job candidates seeking an edge, sending interviewers a customized thank-you is critical. Recruiters estimate that most candidates make the effort to send thank-yous, but only half go the extra mile to customize them for the job they’re seeking.

If you’re interviewing with several employers, check that each thank-you shows the correct company and recruiter name. After all, you don’t want to accidentally send a thank-you addressed to, say, the company’s competitor.

It’s also important to be specific and show off your listening skills. If you discussed a particular trend or issue with the interviewer, mention it again in your thank-you or even include a link to a recent news story on the subject. This will show that you focused on what was going on during the interview and that you are serious about the opportunity.

Try tapping into the employer’s culture. For example, a candidate for a job at Coca-Cola Co. signed his thank-you with the company slogan, “Have a Sweet Day.” But no matter how laid-back an employer seems, keep your thank-you professional. Thank-yous with slang or funky spelling are unlikely to impress. Expressing some individuality is OK, but what an employer primarily wants to see is that the candidate knows proper business etiquette.

“So, any questions?”

If you’re someone who immediately answers “no” when asked if you have any questions, it’s time you break the habit. Being a little more curious can help you land that dream job.

By Nabilah Husna A. Rahman

Three days before the actual job interview, you’ve already researched the company in detail, rehearsed your astute response to the basic opening question (“So, tell me more about yourself.”) and chosen The Outfit. Now, leave it up to fate – or rather, the hiring managers – and maybe utter a prayer or two.

Over-preparation for a big interview is a distinguishing trait of most novice jobseekers. Most hasten to anticipate possible questions and expect the far too unexpected. Some candidates are articulate when it comes to overtly marketing themselves. But when posed with two simple words – ‘Any questions?’ – they stare, flummoxed.

It’s time to evict the assumption that there is nothing wrong with being completely bereft of doubts and queries during the interview. The truth is, there are some things that no amount of homework can help you find out. Asking questions indicates your level of interest in the company and the position you’re applying for, or lack thereof.

Here are 10 pertinent questions you can ask at a job interview, to show that finding a good fit is as important to you as it is to your recruiters.

Surviving Killer Interviews

Here’s what usually happens at an interview: You enter the room, answer some questions, talk about yourself, smile, and leave. Sounds simple? Unfortunately, that is hardly ever the case.

By Azhar Jalil

Job interviews are an entrenched part of the hiring process and considered the key step for deciding which candidate is best suited for a particular position.

At the same time, however, job interviews are also often highly subjective. Interviewers, being human, are naturally biased and thus discriminatory, whether explicitly or not. Also, interviews are frequently unstructured and therefore rather limited in terms of comparing candidates objectively.

Moreover, traditional face-to-face interviews demand substantial resources from employers but do not always effectively forecast a candidate’s actual working performance.

These factors have caused employers to take up alternative interview methods which are more valuable as predictive tools, so as to better assess potential hires in a more effective and holistic manner.