job search

Job hunting on the job

By Shi Tianyun

The job search – it can be a tedious process some only resort to when necessary. On the other hand, some happily employed individuals like to be in tuned with what hot jobs are out there. In a recent JobsCentral poll, we asked when the average worker looks out for new job opportunities and 445 of you told us.

Surprisingly, only 19 percent of respondents hit the job portals when they were not gainfully employed. A conscientious 91 individuals (20 percent) kept an eye out periodically. Finally, a whopping majority of 56 percent would only start updating their resume when they feel that they have outgrown their current job or want a change in scope.

But how does one go about looking for a new job on the sly? We have some tips that will help you leave gracefully, without burning any bridges.

Got a job? Don’t abandon your job search

Congratulations on your new job. You worked hard to get it — you added your résumé to online databases, you networked both online and off, and you got your portfolio in tip-top shape. Now that you’re working, you don’t have to think about anything job-search related until the next time you’re looking. Right? Wrong.

Job hunting while employed: How to cover your tracks

As a rule, honesty is usually the best policy when it comes to your career. Don’t lie about your experience, salary or education — you will get caught. Don’t pretend you know what you’re talking about, because you’ll eventually say something that makes you look like a fool. Don’t inflate your job title just to sound important — it will make you look worse.

But when you’re hunting for a job, you might need to stretch the truth a little bit. At the very least, you’ll probably need to get creative when explaining some of your actions. Each job is different, but in most workplaces the boss frowns on employees looking for another job. No one wants to hear, “Hey, I’m running out to interview for a job with a better salary!” at the office.

While we won’t tell you to lie to your boss, we do think you should know about these ways to keep your job search private without harming your current gig:

Guide for fresh graduates: Understanding employment laws

You're fresh out of school and the world is your oyster. While you get all excited about stepping into the corporate world, remember that with great power comes great responsibility. It’s clichéd but true – so what you should probably gear yourself with, besides a great résumé, is knowledge about your rights and responsibilities as an employee in Singapore. Here are the common questions you may find yourself asking, and the answers to them:

How NOT to Handle Telephone Interviews

Kate Lorenz

This morning on the bus I couldn’t help but notice the woman across from me as she made a phone call. (Cell phone chatter on the bus is just one of my personal pet peeves.) But just seconds after she started talking, I realized she was having a job interview.

I was dumbfounded. Despite how desperate job seekers claim to be, they still make the simplest job search mistakes. One of the golden rules of job search: Find a quiet place to do a phone interview.

So when I got to work and saw the headline “Jobseekers interview while using toilet” in my inbox, I just had to click.

Seeking Information, Not Employment

More from WSJ.com:
Should I Quit My Job?
Updating a Résumé for 2011
How to Handle a Bad Boss?

provided by

By Elizabeth Garone

Q: I'm thinking about a career change and would love to go on a few informational interviews to learn more about the fields I am considering. But I rarely hear anyone talk about informational interviews anymore. Are people still giving them or are they too worried about their own jobs to take the time? How would I go about setting one up? Who should I target? Are certain questions off limits?

Los Angeles, CA